Welcome ! The purpose of this website is to let you know what I can offer you as a Clinical Psychologist, and to provide some interesting and helpful information.
My Approach and What I Can Offer
My approach is caring and warm, while remaining professional and ethical. I am respectful, grounded and realistic in how I work.
Each person is unique, and carries their own experiences, personal and family history.
We explore whatever issues you bring into the room. My approach to counselling/psychotherapy is to assist you with a deeper and more realistic understanding of yourself, and of those around you. I am not here to tell you what to do (there are enough other people around trying to do that!), but to listen, interact, explore, and with you – see where the pieces fit together.
During this process you gain more realistic perspectives and insights into yourself and others. You start to accept yourself more, to find your inner wisdom, confidence and trust in yourself. Some healing and relief of certain past emotional “wounds” may take place. You build on your inner strength, and learn to cope with life’s challenges more appropriately. Moving forward, you find better and more effective ways to cope in your life, relationships, work etc, and learn to start to avoid harmful situations from occurring again. Solutions start to appear more easily.
In this, greater understanding, tolerance and compassion for yourself and others develops.
Where there are longer term problems and challenges, we look at how to best support you through this; to learn to cope (sometimes “to survive”), to keep going , to hold yourself together somehow in what can be difficult, confusing and sometimes scary times.
Some coping techniques and skills can be included, to assist you in your journey.
- Short, medium and longer term psycho-therapeutic support for adults
- Young adults
- Older adolescents
- Women’s issues
- Men’s challenges
- Businessmen and businesswomen – support and counselling regarding corporate/professional challenges
We address the following:
- Stress and burnout, worrying and anxiety, panic attacks
- Depression, feeling low, tired and demotivated, feeling empty
- Self confidence and self esteem
- Post-natal depression, difficult pregnancies and post birth adaptation
- Mental and emotional challenges and disorders
- Trauma counselling and debriefing
- Loss and bereavement
- Relationship counselling, including marital, pre-marriage preparation and any general relationship difficulties.
- Communications and conflict management
- General life issues and difficulties
- Working through major life changes and crises
- Challenges in the work place (e.g. promotion, stress from disciplinary procedures, dptment restructures, mgmt. changes, etc)
- Creativity and self expression
- Skills and techniques, such as assertiveness, boundary setting, conflict resolution, communication etc
Phone me to find out how I can assist you, and to make a first appointment.
“From the beginning to the very end
pointing to our own hearts
to discover what is true
isn’t just a matter of honesty
but also of compassion and respect for what we see”
Pema Chodron. “When Things Fall Apart”.
people will touch and talk perhaps easily,
and living be as natural as breathing,
and warm as sunlight;
and people will untie themselves,
As string is unknotted,
Unfold and yawn and stretch and spread their fingers;
Unfurl, uncurl, like seaweed returned to the sea.
And work will be simple and swift like a seagull flying;
and play will be casual and quiet as a seagull settling.
And the clocks will stop, and no one will wonder,
or care, or notice,
And people will smile without reason,
Even in the winter,
Even in the rain.”